Imagine you go out for a boat ride. It’s an adventure of a lifetime and you’re excited about the possibilities. Then disaster hits and you find yourself floating, adrift, in the middle of the ocean. It’s the stuff of nightmares, and quite honestly, one I’ve had many times.
This nightmare came true for the real inspirations of the new Universal Pictures and STXFilms movie, Adrift. Two young adults, played by Shailene Woodley (Divergent, Fault in Our Stars) and Sam Claflin (Hunger Games, Me Before You), meet through a chance encounter and later decide to set sail on a long journey across the ocean. They were unaware at the time that one of the biggest storms in history was building and would have disastrous effects on their trip.
No spoilers, but the title alone gives away the main gist of the story, except that Sam Claflin’s character, Richard, is badly hurt after the storm and Shailene’s character, Tami, is left on her own to get them to safety.
I love cruises, and have cruised a couple of times now. I would do it again tomorrow, especially the one to Alaska and amongst the whales up by the northern passage, but this movie kind of confirmed for me why I am not a sailor. Tami and Richard epitomize the words bravery in their quest to survive, and Tami’s love for Richard pushes her beyond anything she thought she could ever do.
More movie specs —
BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL
- Deleted Scenes
- Survival at Sea – An interview with the cast and filmmakers
- Braving the Elements – A behind-the-scenes look at filming in the open waters
- Journey– Shailene Woodley takes viewers on a journey into Adrift
- Theatrical Trailer #1
- Theatrical Trailer #2
- Feature Commentary with Director Baltasar Kormákur and Shailene Woodley
Adrift will be available on Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital.
- Blu-ray™ unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
- DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- Cast: Shailene Woodley, Sam Claflin
- Music By: Volker Bertelmann
- Edited By: John Gilbert, ACE
- Production Designer: Heimir Sverrisson
- Director of Photography: Robert Richardson, ASC
- Executive Producers: Ralph Winter, Magnús Viðar Sigurðsson, Andrea Scarso, Stephen Fuss, Tom Rosenberg, Gary Lucchesi, Eric Reid, Wang Zhongjun, Wang Zhonglei, Felice Bee, Robert Simonds, Adam Fogelson, David Kosse
- Produced By: Baltasar Kormákur, P.G.A., Aaron Kandell, Jordan Kandell, Shailene Woodley
- Based on the Book By: Tami Oldham Ashcraft with Susea McGearhart
- Screenplay By: Aaron Kandell & Jordan Kandell and David Branson Smith
- Directed By: Baltasar Kormákur
Grab a copy of Adrift today and let me know what you think!