Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, the second live-action movie in the Disney Maleficent franchise, is available for purchase on Blu-ray and DVD as of January 14, 2019. (It’s already available for digital download.) This movie continues Maleficent’s saga with her Goddaughter, Aurora (played by Dakota Fanning) and Aurora’s mother-in-law-to-be, Queen Ingrith (portrayed by the beautiful Michelle Pfeiffer). Angelina Jolie does another stellar job making evil look good….and you might just change your mind about her.
Directed by Joachim Rønning, “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” carries on the story of Disney’s most iconic villain. The years have been kind to Maleficent and Aurora. Their relationship, born of heartbreak, revenge and ultimately love, has flourished. Yet hatred between man and the fairies still exists. Aurora’s impending marriage to Prince Philip is cause for celebration as the wedding serves to unite the Kingdom of Ulstead and the neighboring Moors. But, when an unexpected encounter introduces a powerful new alliance, Maleficent and Aurora are pulled apart to opposing sides in a Great War, testing their loyalties and causing them to question whether they can truly be a family.
Bonus features take viewers behind-the-scenes with the all-star cast to explore the making of “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.” Extended scenes reveal how Queen Ingrith (Michelle Pfeiffer) manipulates Aurora into questioning Maleficient and accelerating her wedding plans. Featurettes include interviews with Jolie, who discusses Maleficent’s origins and the cast who portray the Fey, and Fanning, who gushes over Aurora’s fairytale wedding. Filmmakers showcase the visual effects behind the film’s stunning landscapes and the seemingly effortless flight of the Fey. Additional extras include “You Can’t Stop The Girl,” a music video performed by Bebe Rexha, and hilarious outtakes, ranging from uncooperative cats to uncontrollable giggles on set.
How Can I Watch Maleficent: Mistress of Evil at Home?
“Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” will be packaged and released in several different formats, ensuring each member of your family can enjoy it on a variety of different devices. Viewers can watch the film in Digital 4K Ultra HD, HD and SD, and bring home a physical copy of the film which will be released as an Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital Code), a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Code) and a single DVD. A Digital bundle with both “Maleficent” and “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” will be available at preorder.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
- Extended Scenes
- The Queen Comforts Aurora – Queen Ingrith takes advantage of Aurora’s fragile state to gain her confidence and accelerate the wedding plans.
- Philip and Aurora Dance – Aurora struggles to gain Queen Ingrith’s approval when she realizes how she is viewed among aristocracy.
- Origins of the Fey – Angelina Jolie discusses Maleficent’s lore, her newly discovered origins, and the diversity of the cast who portray the Fey.
- Elle Fanning gushes over Aurora’s fairytale wedding; plus, hear from some special guests as they give their best to the bride and groom.
- If You Had Wings – Get a glimpse of the elaborate visual effects that allow the Fey to take to the skies.
- “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” VFX Reel – Discover how a perfect blend of practical and visual effects were used to create the stunning landscapes in “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.”
- Outtakes – Uncooperative cats, a serious case of the giggles and even the “floss dance” found their way into Ulstead.
- “You Can’t Stop The Girl” – Music video performed by Bebe Rexha
I really enjoyed the first Maleficent, but this one brings it all home. I loved it. The special effects are amazing and you will believe you are in the world of the fey. Maleficent’s humor starts to shine, while Aurora’s working on her independence as she grows to love appreciate her Godmother in a whole new light. Perhaps it’s her own choices to marry or their teamwork as they take on Queen Ingrith’s dark side, but they bond in a deeper way that will have you leaving the theater with a whole new opinion of Maleficent. (And you may have a couple of one-liner quotes to randomly drop, courtesy of the Mistress of Evil.)
My favorite character though is shapeshifter, Diaval, played by Sam Riley. A crow brought to life by Maleficent, his dedication to her is clear, and he’s now the one giving her advice…and she’s listening. We were lucky enough to meet Sam at the red carpet premiere and he’s as charming in person as he is as her right-hand man…crow…friend. (Read more about our red carpet premiere experience here.)
The movie’s dark at times but with some explanation, good for all ages. It runs 118 minutes not counting the bonus content, which was a fun addition to the experience. Be sure to watch!
Here’s a peek at the trailer, in case you haven’t seen it yet. Grab it to add to your Disney movie collection!